Around the world with… Dawn Jorgensen in 20 questions
Dawn is a conscious traveller with a deep love for Africa, its people and the environment. From gorilla trekking in Uganda, tree-planting in Zambia and crampon-hiking in Patagonia, she believes she’s just getting started. Dawn shares these stories on her blog, The Incidental Tourist. When not travelling, home takes the shape of a little farm in Wellington.
- I travel because… every encounter and destination brings a new lesson in life. It humbles, teaches me respect and inspires me to be a better person.
- I write about it to… to share with others the privilege of my experiences, to relive the moments and to have a travel journal to look back on.
- The last place I visited for the first time was… Athens.
- The place I’ll return to again and again is… Italy.
- The most luxurious place I have ever stayed was… Singita Faru Faru in the Grumeti, Tanzania. Where I could watch the wildebeest migration from my bed.
- The dodgiest place I ever went to was… an area on the outskirts of Paris where I decided not to get off the train.
- If you’re on a budget travel to… any of the SanParks properties; best value and beautiful diverse offerings.
- My favourite hideaway in my country is… just outside my hometown of Wellington, you’ll find Bain’s Kloof – a wonderful place for walking in the mountains and swimming in the cool streams.
- The top five places I’ve travelled to are… Madagascar, Patagonia, Rwanda, Masai Mara and Grootbos Private Nature Reserve.
- Three places I hope to visit this year… White Elephant Safari Lodge in Pongola. Any new African country. Russia.
- One of the best-kept secrets is… McGregor, because it’s only an hour from Cape Town, with endless options for activities and accommodation, wine and bubbly, fine food, donkey loving, shopping and conversation.
- Best meal I’ve ever had was… Breakfast at Majeka House. I could live in those flavours forever.
- Best bar I’ve ever been to was in… Matjiesfontein.
- I’ll never return to… there’s nowhere I will never return to.
- Five things I can’t travel without… my iPhone, my camera, my notebook, my floppy white hat and chocolate.
- What I miss most when I travel… my best friend, who is my Pit Bull pup, Tuscan Storm.
- My best travel moment ever was… Gorilla Trekking in Uganda. The most incredibly emotional and meaningful experience.
- Advice for those who’d like to do what you do… Pursue that dream; you don’t need qualifications or training, you just need time and passion. Start a blog, nurture it and make it proudly yours. From that love a following and opportunities will slowly arise. But mostly, do it for you.
- My favourite travel writer / blogger is… Anton Crone, who is now mostly doing work for Africa Geographic. I have mountains of admiration and respect for his meaningful work.
- My top travel tip is… don’t talk yourself out of it. Travel near or far, in your own hometown or on a cross country road trip. Save money, avoid unnecessary spends and make it a priority to give yourself the gift of travel.
For more from Dawn: